Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Journal of the Unborn Baby

That night...
God has placed me in a family. I have a mother and father, uncles and aunties and also grandparents who will love me and take care of me. Of all the families in the world, this is the perfect one for me. Thank you, God.

The morning after?

March 3rd, 2009
They don't know I am here. My Nana is very concerned about my Amma. She wants to go for a Sunway Lagoon trip with her sisters; Haanu, Venis and Darshi pini. He would be VERY worried if he knew I was here. He might think being exposed to the water activities could hurt me because I am so tiny and young. I have already begun to grow, very rapidly I might add. Right now it is lots of dividing *grin*, but my body will be forming very soon.

March 16th, 2009
I am still very, very tiny, but you would be impressed at how quickly I am developing. I can't wait for my Amma to know I am here. I know she will be very excited and happy. She loves little babies. Just few days ago, Amma and Nana attended Shantini pini and Gana chitappa's engagement. Both of them were so happy running around helping out with the preparation. But they still had no idea I was already formed.

March 21st, 2009
I am 18 days old today. My nervous system has begun to develop! Amma took a pregnancy test 2 days ago and it showed negative. She was quite frustrated but I was already feeling so thrilled and excited inside! I thought to myself, Amma, a few days more and you'll soon rejoice beyond words.

March 23rd, 2009
Amma decided to test again today. Suddenly, I heard her screaming. That's how I guessed she knew at that moment that I was in her. She sounded soooooo excited! She immediately told Haanu pini and they both hugged. The next thing, she called Nana and told him the good news. I am very sure Nana will be the happiest person on earth to know this. And YES he was!

April 8th, 2009
I am 4 weeks old. Even though I am only about the size of a raisin, an incredible thing happened today. My heart began to beat! My first blood vessels have appeared. The foundation for my brain, spinal cord, and peripheral nervous system and rudiments of my eyes are formed. The placenta began functioning. Limb buds, the beginnings of my little arms and legs, are forming.

April 14th, 2009
I am sure that a grandchild would be welcome on both sides of the family, especially if I am as cute as my Amma and Nana. Besides, I will be the first grandchild for both my paternal and maternal side. Some folks think it's better for the first born to be a boy and vice versa. But, I am glad my parents don't feel that way. I am glad they want me. I can't wait for Amma and Nana to tell everyone I am here. They will be so excited!

May 3rd, 2009
It is now eleven weeks after conception. Circulation to and from the placenta has begun. The placenta is a very special, amazing organ that connects my circulatory system with my mother's. The placenta is so important to me that it was being prepared almost as soon as I was conceived. The placenta works like your lungs, your digestive system, and your kidneys work, all at once. My mother shelters me, and her blood makes nutrients and oxygen available to me, but her blood and my blood, can never mix. My mother's lungs, digestive system, and her kidneys can't take care of me - I have to do that independently, through the placenta. The placenta filters oxygen out of my mother's blood into my blood, just the way your lungs take oxygen out of the air and into your blood. It also gathers nutrition for me, the same way your digestive system gathers nutrition from the food you eat. And lastly, the placenta sifts waste out of my blood, like your kidneys take waste out of your blood.

My kidneys are developed, but soon they will begin to function, and share this work with the placenta. My internal organs are growing. My tongue, esophagus and stomach are well developed, and my liver, gall bladder, and pancreas have been developing for several days. My lungs have begun to develop. My thyroid and other glands are forming.

I have hands with ridges that will grow into fingers, and two-segmented arms! I also have feet, thighs, and calves. I am so excited that my little face and sensory organs are forming. I have eyes, including a retina that already has color, as well as ears, a nose, and mouth!!

May 10th, 2009
I guess I am starting to cause my Amma a little trouble. She doesn't feel very well. I can't help it. I am doing the best I can. My Amma's body has to work very hard to help me grow. I can't wait to see her and show her I love her.

May 18th, 2009
It's Amma's birthday today! Amma and Nana went to temple to see dearest Lord Ganesha. Soon after that Amma's friends celebrated her birthday at some restaurant in Brickfields. I heard everyone singing Amma the birthday song.

My face is nearly finished forming and looks reasonably human, though lacking the muscles needed for facial expressions like smiling or frowning. I am beginning to move. These early movements are important to the development of healthy muscles.

June 7th, 2009
My mother's pregnancy is considered to be 16 weeks, but I am actual age is 14 weeks. I am strong enough to kick and move around! Amma is happy to be able to tell when I am playing now. As a 14-week old unborn child, I can experience pleasure and happiness or displeasure and fear. I can be startled, and my heart rate increases by loud pleasant and unpleasant noises. Amma often listens to Bhajans and Gayathri chanting. Nana talks to me very often too. I just can't wait to see them!

August 31st, 2009
I am already 26 weeks old now (28 weeks pregnancy - 7 months). Today is the big day. Amma's Baby Shower party. She was dressed in her wedding Saree and she looked so pretty in it! It must have reminded her of her wedding day. There were a lot of people in the house. I can now hear very well. I can even react to light and suck my thumb too! One thing for sure, I know Amma ate a lot of sweet, sour and yogurt rice during the party.

October 17th, 2009
It's Diwali Day today. Amma is about 34 weeks pregnant now. I can now move rapidly and kick hard enough. But poor Amma gets backache and contractions once in a while. I wish I can help her but I can't. Everyone is eagerly waiting to receive me. I was at Ammama and Tata's place for the morning Diwali prayers. I could hear Amma singing and everyone around her sang too. Nana also sang a Bhajan. Hope I can also sing like them both. Shantini pini and Gana Chitappa was banging the tamborine and Venis pini was playing the harmonium. I hope to take over the drums one day! At night, we went to Klang. There we saw all my cousins, Neha akka, Sanjeev anne, Yuva akka, Sureka akka, Jaishree akka and Gautham anne. They were all playing fire crackers and I was longing to play with them. I'm sure next year I will get my chance! Nanama, Tata and other aunties, uncles were there too. We returned back home that night and I slept tightly in my Amma's womb. It was a long tiring day.

October 18th, 2009
I am so excited today! Prem nana is buying me a baby cot. We went to Little Whiz and Amma/Nana chose an oak colored cot for me. Amma chose a very nice cartoon bed sheet. Sasi nana, Sathya nana, Nanama and Tata also came along.

October 22nd, 2009
I am now fully formed and just developing some baby fats. I'm sure Amma is getting heavier day by day but guess what, I am so excited!! The time is coming soon! She doesn't know yet, but soon Amma gets to hold me in her arms. Nana can then see me directly to my face and talk to me. I get to look in both their eyes and meet the rest of my family! YAY!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is so meaningful & well written Shamini...Like it...

Unknown said...

Thanks Shanthi!!